Friday, April 15, 2011

LIKE! and DON'T! - Jewellery design crits - 18 April

RINGS FOR MEN

1. LIKE!

I like this piece because it doesn't play into steretypical constructs of masculinity. It is a clean, elegant piece which shows technical skill in both its design and its construction. Much of the jewellery designed for men today is quite square and clunky looking (big, heavy, chunky, mechanical). This ring is quite organic and soft in its lines and repetitive curves. It has a certain lightness to it without being flimsy. The plaiting on this ring also makes me think of the German art of hair jewellery, made as a commemorative keepsake after somebody in the family has died. The concept of jewellery made out of the hair of a loved one fascinates me and makes me at the same time a little uncomfortable.

http://weddingringcentre.net/wedding-rings/mens-wedding-ring-21/




2. DON'T!

I don't like this piece because, although it doesn't conform to the commonly found rectilinear design of rings made for men, I do find it clunky and unappealing. The texture that the ring has been imparted with is a bit tacky and is only emphasised by the fleur de lis placed on top. I don't like the gap at the bottom of the ring because it makes the thickness of the metal appear to be uneven on the right hand side of the gap. This piece is very beautifully finished and its construction shows the technical skill of the maker and that should be appreciated, but i still can't align myself with its design, it just isn't my style.

http://ringoblog.com/other-jewelry/celebrity-jewelry/brangelinas-ring/

No comments:

Post a Comment